Cover Image

Is routine ureteral stenting really necessary after retrograde intrarenal surgery?

Ekrem Ozyuvali, Berkan Resorlu, Ural Oguz, Yildiray Yildiz, Tolga Sahin, Cagri Senocak, Omer Faruk Bozkurt, Erman Damar, Murat Yildirim, Ali Unsal
  • Ekrem Ozyuvali
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Berkan Resorlu
    Department of Urology, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Faculty of Medicine, Canakkale, Turkey | drberkan79@gmail.com
  • Ural Oguz
    Department of Urology, Giresun University, Faculty of Medicine, Giresun, Turkey
  • Yildiray Yildiz
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Tolga Sahin
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Cagri Senocak
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Omer Faruk Bozkurt
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Erman Damar
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Murat Yildirim
    Department of Urology, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  • Ali Unsal
    Department of Urology, Gazi University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey

Abstract

Objectives: To investigate the situations in which ureteral double-J stent should be used after retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS). Patients and Methods: Patients with no ureteral double-J stent after RIRS constituted Group 1, and those with double- J stent after RIRS constituted Group 2. Patients’ age and gender, renal stone characteristics (location and dimension), stone-free status, VAS score 8 hours after surgery, post-procedural renal colic attacks, length of hospitalization, requirement for re-hospitalization, time to rehospitalization and secondary procedure requirements were analyzed. Results: RIRS was performed on 162 renal units. Double-J stent was used in 121 (74.6%) of these after RIRS, but not in the other 41 (25.4%). At radiological monitoring at the first month postoperatively after RIRS, complete stone-free status was determined in 122 (75.3%) renal units, while residual stone was present in 40 (24.6%). No significant differences were observed between the groups in terms of duration of fluoroscopy (p = 0.142), operation (p = 0.108) or hospitalization times (p = 0.798). VAS values determined routinely on the evening of surgery were significantly higher in Group 1 than in Group 2 (p = 0.025). Twenty-eight (17.2%) presentations were made to the emergency clinic due to renal colic within 1 month after surgery. Double-J catheter was present in 24 (85.7%) of these patients. Conclusions: Routine double-J stent insertion after RIRS is not essential since it increases costs, morbidity and operation time.

Keywords

Retrograde intrarenal surgery; Ureteral stent; Urolithiasis

Full Text:

PDF
Submitted: 2015-04-01 12:20:29
Published: 2015-03-31 00:00:00
Search for citations in Google Scholar
Related articles: Google Scholar
Abstract views:
2376

Views:
PDF
1522

Article Metrics

Metrics Loading ...

Metrics powered by PLOS ALM


Copyright (c) 2015 Ekrem Ozyuvali, Berkan Resorlu, Ural Oguz, Yildiray Yildiz, Tolga Sahin, Cagri Senocak, Omer Faruk Bozkurt, Erman Damar, Murat Yildirim, Ali Unsal

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
 
© PAGEPress 2008-2018     -     PAGEPress is a registered trademark property of PAGEPress srl, Italy.     -     VAT: IT02125780185     •     Privacy